Friday, June 11, 2010

Communication Issues

5 June '75

If I thought Montreal seemed French, it was because I hadn't seen Quebec. Geoff, our world-traveller-in-residence (whom we incessantly question about Europe) assured our grateful ears that old Quebec does indeed seem somewhat European. We found a plain, cheap, rather comfortable 4th floor room across a small park from Chateau Frontenac. Comfortable beds, a refrigerator (beer, bread, meat) and a table. Geoff insisting that by European standards, it is a great room. Chateau Frontenac is magnificent to see - it seems so much the landmark of old Quebec that it's hard to believe it was build between 1890-1921 as a resort hotel by the Canadian Pacific Railway. I wonder if the residents as the time deplored it as a monstrous highrise which blocked their views of the St. Lawrence?
Many of the locals speak English as poorly as I speak French, and one of my triumphs of the day was asking simple directions and buying stamps in French successfully. It's like a game to me whereas Sharon knows enough French that she knows how poorly she speaks it, and avoids doing so out of embarrassment.
In the evening we sat for awhile in a marvelous twilight at the fountain between our room and the Chateau. Earlier, Geoff and I had wandered far along the Governors Promenade (a boardwalk by any other name is still a boardwalk) high above Le Baisse Ville and The St. Lawrence.
We dined on Gaspe Lobster.
P.S. This evening before the fountain and dinner, I took my first bath in 1 1/2 years. I wouldn't have enjoyed it anywhere but in a 4th floor bathroom in Old Quebec.

No comments:

Post a Comment